About

The Ives!

Ives Footwear, now in its sixth generation, is one of England's oldest family shoe businesses. 


In the 1700s, the Ives Family were curriers in Cratfield, near Halesworth, Suffolk.

​In 1864, Walter Henry Ives established his curriers business and started manufacturing boots for the wholesale trade, whilst his brother Charles was making boots and shoes for direct sale.

The factory invested in new machinery and, by 1913, was producing 400 pairs of shoes a week exclusively for Curl Bros in Norwich, Norfolk. The factory was closed in 1925 as the family developed into shoe retail. 

Today Ives Footwear trades from Woodbridge and remains a family affair with brother and sister David & Fay, who have 70 years of service, taking over the business from their late father, John. 

By 1930, three Ives brothers, Herbert, Jack and Jim, had shoe shops in Leiston, Halesworth, Diss, Bury St. Edmunds and Littleport.


 John Ives, son of Herbert, continued in the family business and opened shops in Felixstowe, Woodbridge and Colchester.